Sickle Cell Awareness Month
LifeSource is committed to working to improve patient care for sickle cell patients in the communities we serve.
Did you know?
- Our hospitals require access to specific blood types that match the sickle cell patient’s individual needs in order to help minimize the risks and reactions of repeated transfusions.
- Individuals with sickle cell trait can qualify to serve as a blood donor just like any other potential blood donors.
- LifeSource provides donors with sickle cell screening for prescheduled groups.
Some information about Sickle Cell Anemia
- Sickle cell anemia is the most common form of sickle cell disease. It is a lifelong condition with no widely available cure.
- Sickle cell hemoglobin is an inherited blood condition. It can be inherited from either parent who carries the trait or has the disease.
- It is a disorder resulting in red blood cells taking an abnormal or “sickle” shape. This can cause health problems among individuals having the sickle cell disease, although those with the trait are generally without ill health effects.
- 1 in 500 African Americans have sickle cell disease.
- 1 in 12 African Americans carries the sickle cell trait.
- Approximately 91,000 Americans of different ethnic backgrounds have sickle cell disease.
- In addition to medication, blood transfusions may also be needed for patients to manage sickle cell anemia.
By making a blood donation you join LifeSource’s efforts to support life and help give sickle cell patients in our community the blood products they need. Your donation gives these courageous patients a chance at a better quality of life.
The need never stops. Our community depends on you.
Be The Giving Type and schedule your appointment today. Please call 877.543.3768, download the free LifeSource Blood Donor Mobile App by visiting the Apple App Store (iPhone only) or click here and search by zip code or group code. Or, visit one of our convenient donor centers.
PREPARE FOR YOUR DONATION • EAT WELL • STAY HYDRATED • BRING ID
If you are interested in hosting a blood drive in honor of Sickle Cell Awareness Month, please call 847.260.2567.
Donate Blood. Support Life.