What do I need to do prior to donating?
- Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements to donate blood.
- Make an appointment to help make your donation experience faster and more convenient.
- When donating at a mobile location, review the schedule on My Personal Donation History to ensure that it has not been cancelled or rescheduled.
- If possible for your location, take the health history questionnaire and print your DonorPass starting at 12:01 a.m. on the date of your donation. (Click here for more details on DonorPass, including locations where it is accepted.)
- Get eight hours of sleep the night before donating.
What can I eat or drink prior to donating?
- Eat a healthy meal (low-fat and iron-rich foods) at least two hours before donating (See below for more details.)
- Drink plenty of non-caffeinated beverages in the days leading up to donation.
- Ensure you follow a healthy diet every day, not just the day of your donation!
Is there anything I should AVOID, prior to donating?
- Do not smoke for at least one hour prior to donation.
- Do not chew gum, mints or candy immediately before or during your donation.
- Avoid exercise / strenuous activity before and immediately after donating.
- IF you are donating platelets, DO NOT take aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for at least 48 hours before your donation.
What should I bring to my donation?
- One of the following forms of ID: LifeSource donor ID card, military ID, driver’s license, passport, birth certificate with accompanying photo ID, employee or student ID with full name and photo.
- List of medications you are taking.
- List of places visited outside of the U.S. in the past three years.
- A friend to donate with you!
[Click here to view a .pdf of the Iron Rich brochure.]