What do I need to do prior to donating?
- Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements to donate blood.
- Make an appointment to help make your donation experience faster and more convenient.
- When donating at a mobile location, review the schedule on My Personal Donation History to ensure that it has not been cancelled or rescheduled.
- If possible for your location, take the health history questionnaire and print your DonorPass starting at 12:01 a.m. on the date of your donation. (Click here for more details on DonorPass, including locations where it is accepted. Please note that some cell phone or tablet screen protectors do not allow our scanners to read your completed DonorPass questionnaire. In this case, you will need to re-answer the questions at the donor center unless you have a printed copy with you.)
- Get eight hours of sleep the night before donating.
What can I eat or drink prior to donating?
- Eat a healthy meal (low-fat and iron-rich foods) at least two hours before donating (See below for more details.)
- Drink plenty of non-caffeinated beverages in the days leading up to donation.
- Ensure you follow a healthy diet every day, not just the day of your donation!
Is there anything I should AVOID, prior to donating?
- Do not smoke for at least one hour prior to donation.
- Do not chew gum, mints or candy immediately before or during your donation.
- Avoid exercise / strenuous activity before and immediately after donating.
- IF you are donating platelets, DO NOT take aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for at least 48 hours before your donation.
What should I bring to my donation?
- One of the following forms of ID: LifeSource donor ID card, military ID, driver’s license, passport, birth certificate with accompanying photo ID, employee or student ID with full name and photo.
- List of medications you are taking.
- List of places visited outside of the U.S. in the past three years.
- Your completed DonorPass questionnaire (either via email or a printed hard copy)
- A friend to donate with you!
[Click here to view a .pdf of the Iron Rich brochure.]